The UK Gambling Commission released its annual gambling industry statistics last Thursday and they made for pretty interesting reading.
The Commission were nice enough to present their findings in a handy little info-graphic for those who process pictures better than words. The graphic pretty much tells the story, one of the keys themes of which was a decrease gross gambling yield (GGY) from traditional sectors, and an increase in online.
Online gambling is now the UK’s largest sector, generating a GGY of £4.5 billion; around a third of the total amount lost (£13.6 billion) on all forms of gambling across the UK for the period April 2015 and March 2016.
The online breakdown was as follows:
- £2.6 billion came from casino games (£1.8 billion of this was from online slot games);
- £1.6 billion from sports betting;
- £152 million from betting exchanges;
- £153 million from bingo; and
- £26 million from pool betting.
It seems online gamblers bizarre love affair with slots is showing no signs of ending any time soon.