Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Olympics 2012

add to football - BMX, Tennis, the 50 different shooting events, sailing, canoeing, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming...
    I would agree with most of that list.
    I think where possible the Olympic events should be more about the fastest, highest, longest, etc.

Horse Guards Parade looked a pretty cool venue (no not temperature wise ) for the volleyball, with plenty of spectators.

Yes Unclefester Spain eliminated, in Barcelona 1992 gold 3-2 mmmm a Ghana, Im not sure... in the team played Guardiola

I'm sorry that baseball is no longer an Olympic sport, after soccer is the sport that I like in 1992 the gold Cuba, and I went to the stadium with my father on two occasions... the scores Spain 1 USA 4 and Spain 0 Taiwan 20 Mmmmm great memories of child... the song Barcelona Freddy Mercury & Montserrat Caballé I remember a lot

Barcelona 1992 ... Mmmmm great memories of child... the song Barcelona Freddy Mercury

1992 ... I was at university !

Before everyone thinks I'm like 100 ... In the UK most people go to Uni at 18, whereas I think it's older for other European countries.

Yes Freddie Mercury's 'Barcelona' is a classic. 'London calling' by 'The Clash' is equally appropriate for these 2012 games.

Yippeeeeeee ... GB finally hit gold today.

First the womens pair of Helen Glover & Heather Stanning in rowing.
    Then another super performance by Bradley Wiggins in the cycling time trial.

It was great to see the joy on both sets of faces, and all the supporters who turned out to cheer them on. .
    Compare this with the 8 female badminton doubles players who apparently 'deliberately' lost matches and were disqualified.

Sitting pretty on the medal tally with a single gold...just like Australia. Both getting smashed by the home of Borat...

Name:  boratolympics.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  20.4 KB

This tally's a day old...Australia still have just the one gold...Kazakhstan are now up to 3

Great Success indeed!
    'coz good old fashioned real random beats simulated random any day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	London_2012.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	740

There have been some fantastic British performances in these games. With team GB currently 3rd in the medal table.

It now seems unfair to single out any individual athletes for praise.

But I must say how much I enjoyed watching Jessica Ennis achieve gold in the heptathlon.
    Having missed out on the Beijing Games following a foot injury, gold seemed so much sweeter now.

As a child I remember watching Daley Thompson achieve 2 golds in the decathlon in Moscow 1980 & then LA 1984.
    More recently, Denise Lewis's heptathlon gold in Sydney 2000, & now this.

Also noteworthy was seeing South Africa's Oscar Pistorius "Blade Runner" became the first double amputee sprinter to compete on the track at an Olympic Games and qualify for the 400m semifinals
    Last edited by Unclefester; 12-10-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Super Saturday for the Brits indeed! Great for an Olympic games when the host nation does well - makes for a very positive vibe. Certainly seems olyympic officials are in a celebratory mood...

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/of...804-23mbx.html

Still not sure about whether the blade runner should be competing. Not taking anything away from his achievement which is quite amazing. But are the blades an advantage or disadvantage? They'll never fatigue, cramp, fill with lactic acid etc.

How good is Usain Bolt?

How good is Usain Bolt?
    Well he sure was good enough for a new gold Olympic record ! .... even at 95% fit

Previously they were discussing the records already on the track .... apparently a different construction(backing) to the track surface compared with Beijing.