Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Olympics 2012

Whoop, whoop! Latvians got bronze medal at beach volleyball! Still dizzling of these news. It was totally unexpected. Latvia have never been so great at volleyball before. It is the first medal so far for us in these Olimpic Games, but we are still hoping for our 3 BMX drivers to got some medal, as one of them - Maris Strombergs - is the former champion in Beijing.
    Last edited by The Dealer; 08-09-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Yeah.... Congratulations dealer!!! Congratulations Latvia!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dealer View Post
    Whoop, whoop! Latvians got bronze medal at beach volleyball! Still dizzling of these news. It was totally unexpected. Latvia have never been so great at volleyball before.
    Congrats to Latvia, it is always nice when the smaller countries win something, even better when unexpected !

Helps to prove to the young sports stars of the future that they don't need to be from the biggest country & best funded to still achieve something.

I've been a bit surprised by countries who I thought might have got more medals, e.g. Canada & some European countries.

Thanks, guys! And today our Maris Strombergs got GOLD at BMX!!! Thumbs up for strong latvians...

And, yeach, speaking about the medal-less countries, I am really surprised this time about Canada and Germany. What's wrong with them? Lazyness?!

Congratulations again!!!!!!, could not miss the golden!!!!! Yes... really when I saw it on TV I was very happy for your latvians and Latvia.
    Yes lasyness in fine points, I do not know of many disciplines, but for example Germany in soccer does not make a good preparation and was not even the games may take a great team. For example Brazil design team to go for the gold medal, today final vs México, not be easy... México has a good team, well... I would like to win México.
    I believe -in general- that the few gold medals from Germany and Canada is high competition, strong China, USA, Great Britain, South Korea.
    What surprised me is Russia, I thought I would win more gold medals... Well... I think it's the same cause.

Well Unclefester, I imagine you'll be happy with the actuation of Great Britain, congratulations also to you You´re a good friend.

Thanks tatanes1.

& Congrats again to Latvia / Maris Strombergs

I made a point of watching out for him after 'The Dealer' tipped him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dealer View Post
    we are still hoping for our 3 BMX drivers to got some medal, as one of them - Maris Strombergs - is the former champion in Beijing.

I usually manage to "put the kiss of death on" / jinx any predictions I make

Regarding Great Britain's medal haul....

In the build up to Beijing the various governing bodies made a concerted effort to increase / target funding, get the best coaches, etc. in the full knowledge that the next Olympics were in London. Basically to put the structure in place, in readiness so to speak.
    We did a lot better than expected in Beijing, coming 4th in the medal table. Then the pressure was really on to see if we could match that in our home games.

The real question is how will we be doing in 2 Olympic Games time from now ??

I am proud of our basketball team, a sweet silver medal against the stars of the NBA (107-100) 40 minutes we played well, but there was a slump at the end, second consecutive silver in basket... perhaps be the third time lucky.

I enjoyed the closing ceremony. It was a great kaleidoscope of colour & British music.

London 2012 - 7 years in the waiting & gone so quick.
    Last edited by Unclefester; 10-27-2022 at 06:41 PM.